Friday, January 27, 2012

Cruise Ship Line Seeks to Settle With Survivors

One thing I do know for a fact is that accidents, whether aviation or maritime, draw international squads of lawyers.

It never occurred to me, as a survivor of a horrific aviation accident, to sue for pain and suffering. Hey, along with six others, I walked away physically unhurt from that horrifying mid-air collision over the Amazon that killed 154. (But hey, now that I think of it in personal legal terms, that disaster and the ugly aftermath did kind of sidetrack my life for five years, while certain parties in Brazil salaciously vilified me, utterly unmindful of the fact that they had nearly succeeded in killing me before they kept me in custody without so much as a "You OK?")

That said, I'm interested in this about the Costa Concordia shipwreck, via this link to the Daily Beast. In part:

"All those who were on board the ship are entitled to be compensated not only for material damage (cost vacation, personal property lost or damaged, and any physical damage), but also to moral ones, such as fear and terror suffered, and the risks related to physical integrity."

An interesting proposition, sure to be closely followed by trial lawyers.

###

No comments: