Wednesday, August 04, 2010
Flightstats.com: Alaska, United and US Air Led in Ontime Performance For July
Among the major airlines, Alaska, United and US Airlines racked up the best on-time performances in July, according to the extremely useful flight-data Web site Flightstats.com
While Hawaiian Airlines (which doesn't have that far to go, and not a lot of places to go to) predictably led all North American carriers in on-time arrival performance again in July, Alaska Airlines, United Airlines and US Airways had the best performance among the majors, says Flightstats. Overall, July's on-time arrival average was 75.92% slightly lower than in 2009.
North America's top 10 performing airlines in July were:
1. Hawaiian Airlines - 94.25%
2. Alaska Airlines - 88.15%
3. Bearskin Airlines - 87.12%
4. Porter Airlines - 86.43%
5. Grant Aviation - 83.6%
6. Allegiant Air - 83.16%
7. United Airlines - 82.3%
8. US Airways - 82.05%
9. Horizon Air - 81.68%
10. PSA Airlines - 81.56%
Meanwhile, Delta's 70.17% on-time arrival percentage placed it last among the majors and 35th overall among North American Carriers for the second straight month.
* Alaska Airlines (2nd overall) - 88.15%
* United Airlines (7th overall) - 82.3%
* US Airways (8th overall) - 82.05%
* Southwest Airlines (20th overall) - 78.36%
* American Airlines (25th overall) - 75.44%
* Continental Airlines (26th overall) - 74.64%
* Jet Blue (27th overall) - 74.19%
* Air Canada (34th overall) - 70.8%
* Delta (35th overall) - 70.17%
Major airport best ontime arrival rates:
1. HND Tokyo, JP - 91.13%
2. BKK Bangkok, TH - 85.02%
3. NRT Tokyo, JP - 83.43%
4. SEA Seattle, WA - 83.01%
5. PHX Phoenix, AZ - 81.75%
6. CLT Charlotte, NC - 80.5%
7. CGK Jakarta, ID - 79.21%
8. KUL Kuala Lumpur, MY - 78.62%
9. SYD Sydney, AU - 77.36%
10. TPE Taipei, TW - 77.28%
The average among the top 50 airports was 66.3%.
* FCO Rome, IT - 52.07%
* MIA Miami, FL - 51.16%
* MAD Madrid, ES - 49.46%
* LGW London, GB - 48.71%
* DFW Dallas, TX - 48.63%
* MAN Manchester, GB - 48.49%
* SIN Singapore, SG - 46.52%
* CAN Guangzhou, CN - 36.36%
* PVG Shanghai, CN - 25.37%
* PEK Beijing, CN - 24.74%
North American Airports - July 2010 Departure Performance Report
Portland, Oregon's PDX airport had the best on-time departure performance among major North American airports. All of the top 10 managed to get over 80% of their flights off within 15 minutes of their scheduled departures against an average for the group of 71.51%.
1. PDX Portland, OR - 85.22%
2. OAK Oakland, CA - 85.01%
3. YVR Vancouver, BC, CA - 83.16%
4. SEA Seattle, WA - 83.01%
5. SLC Salt Lake City, UT - 83.01%
6. CLE Cleveland, OH - 81.76%
7. PHX Phoenix, AZ - 81.75%
8. CLT Charlotte, NC - 80.5%
9. SAN San Diego, CA - 80.5%
10. PIT Pittsburgh, PA - 80.24%
New York's JFK reopened a runway on June 29th after a four month closure. Despite the reopening, JFK's on-time departure performance fell from 58.23% in June to 55.66% in July. The five North American airports with the lowest on-time departure performance in July were:
36. LGA New York, NY - 63.17%
37. ORD Chicago, IL - 59.89%
38. JFK New York, NY - 55.66%
39. MIA Miami, FL - 51.16%
40. DFW Dallas, TX - 48.63%
European Airline On-time Performance Wanes
As a group, the European airlines' on-time arrival performance average dropped to 71.71% in July, down from 77.25% in June and 75.85% in May.
Northern European carrier Wideroe's had the best on-time arrival performance among European carriers and had the highest on-time performance among all the carriers we tracked in July at 93.82%.
SAS and KLM again represented the European majors in the top 10 performing European carriers:
1. WF Wideroe's - 93.82%
2. VG VLM Airlines - 92.75%
3. SK SAS - 90.35%
4. WA KLM Cityhopper - 89.86%
5. NT Binter Canarias - 86.35%
6. XM Alitalia Express - 85.51%
7. QI Cimber Sterling - 85.29%
8. VO Tyrolean Airways - 84.83%
9. BE Jersey European - 84.72%
10. KL KLM - 84.5%
Major Asian Airlines Performance Report
No surprises in Asia as Japanese airlines continued their domination of the top five with Bangkok airlines in the third spot. The Asian carriers with the best on-time arrival performance in July were:
1. EH Air Nippon - 90.95%
2. JC JAL Express - 90.87%
3. PG Bangkok Airways - 90.8%
4. NH ANA - All Nippon Airways - 90.37%
5. JL Japan Airlines - 88.91%
Note: Our coverage of Asian carriers is limited due to a lack of available data sources. We listed only those carriers for which we have statistically significant gate departure and arrival information. If you don't see your airline listed here or would like to see a more complete representation of your data, please contact email@example.com to arrange for a data exchange.
About These Reports
These on-time performance reports for worldwide carriers and airports are generated from FlightStats Analytics.
"We track the performance of over 150,000 flights per day, archive the data for analysis and publication, and provide real time flight status to millions of travelers world wide each day.
In contrast to the US Bureau of Transportation Statistics (BTS) on on-time performance which are filed with the BTS by the largest US airlines, we gather it ourselves in real time and archive the data for analysis and reporting. This enables us to cover a larger list of airlines and airports and to issue reports within a few days of the end of the reporting month.
* BTS reports only on US airlines and airports. FlightStats gathers data world-wide
* BTS airline performance reports are based upon data reported by 19 US airlines, 18 of which constitute 1% or more of total domestic scheduled-service passenger revenues. FlightStats reports cover 45 US airlines and are based upon data gather in real time from a variety of sources including the US FAA, airlines reservation systems, direct feeds from airlines and airports.
* BTS US airport performance reports are based upon information provided by the 32 U.S. airports that account for at least 1 percent of the nation's total domestic scheduled-service passenger enplanements. FlightStats equivalent reports are based upon archived real-time data covering the top 40 (i.e. busiest) North American airports.
* Both BTS and FlightStats reports include information on the percentage of flights that arrived on time, were cancelled, were diverted. FlightStats breaks down the delays into 3 categories - late (15-29 minutes late at the gate), very late (30-44 minutes), and excessive (> 44 minutes). BTS simply reports that a flight is late (15 minutes or more).
* FlightStats has more current data based upon real-time reporting. BTS data is published approximately 5 weeks after the close of a month as it relies on the airlines to file historical reports.
* BTS also reports on baggage issues, passenger numbers, customer complaints and the causes of flight delays. FlightStats does not."